Hey guys! So today I wanted to run you through my recommended method of installing Google Analytics with a WordPress.org website. This method minimizes installing plugins that you shouldn’t already be using and as a result minimizes the risk of slowing down the load speeds of you website through inefficiently coded plugins.
Having data analytics is crucial for continual improvement of your website and improved understanding of your visitors. You can see what is working and what isn’t more easily, gain reassurance in your marketing strategies or adjust if necessary.
The process of installing analytics is extremely simple and you should be up and running in minutes.
Get Your Google Analytics Tracking ID
So just a quick recap! You should by now have already signed up for a Google Analytics account, entered your website details and generated your Tracking ID and code. If not please check out my previous post on How to Create a Google Analytics Account before you get rolling here (there are also some useful settings to customize so do check out the post if you are not aware of these).
Right! You can access your Tracking ID from the following menu:
Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code
The Tracking ID is the number beginning with UA.
Install the All In One SEO Pack Plugin
The All In One SEO Pack is my top recommended plugin for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for three main reasons:
- It has a 4.5 star rating and 3+ million active installs (one of the most popular plugins).
- It is easy to set up, easy to use, integrates well into the WordPress system and has many powerful features.
- It is the number 1 recommended plugin in Wealthy Affiliate, and comes pre-installed with all websites hosted on the powerful in-house hosting platform (SiteRubix).
You can install the plugin by searching for it in the Add Plugins area in your WordPress admin system.
Activate it, then away you go! You can check out my post on recommended settings for the All in One SEO Pack, as it will save you time figuring it all out yourself. However, for now we will just focus on integrating Google Analytics.
Integrate the Tracking ID
Navigate to the General Settings of the plugin and scroll down until you reach the Google Settings area. Locate the Google Analytics ID field and paste your ID in there. Ensure the ID is in the following format (the middle section may vary in length):
UA – XXXXXXXXX – X
I recommend you also configure some advanced settings. Select Enabled for Advanced Analytics Options and tick the following boxes:
- Exclude Users From Tracking > Administrator – this means your visits to your website aren’t tracked as long as you are logged into WordPress.
- Track Outbound Links – this tracks links that lead external to your website when a visitor clicks on them.
- Enhanced Link Attribution – this gives you the ability to track clicks on links anywhere in your page and allows you to distinguish how many clicks are from which link, even if they lead to the same destination. This more useful in the future when you are really analyzing your traffic in depth and optimizing your pages. Ensure the “In-Page Analytics” setting is ON in Google Analytics > Admin > Property Settings:
After this, click Update Options at the very bottom or very top of the menu and you are all set!
Allow Some Time, then Check the Tracking
Give your website a couple of hours to register the tracking code, then you can jump into the Google Analytics reports to check whether you are now successfully tracking traffic. If your website is only just starting out, you can lodge some Test Traffic through one of these two methods:
- Ensure you are logged out of the WordPress admin, and visit a few of you website’s pages yourself. Take note which pages and compare to the reports.
- Send some test traffic in Google Analytics by going to the Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code Area and clicking the button Send test traffic.
Once you have confirmed successful tracking of your website traffic you are ready to go. If you are having any trouble, please feel free to give me a shout. I am happy to help!!
Ok, Let’s Do This!
Copy your Tracking ID.
Install the All in One SEO Pack plugin.
Place the Tracking ID in the plugin Settings.
Check Traffic Logging is successful.
Ask me any questions you might have.
Continue your journey through the online world and build, build, build!
Please leave me a comment or question below, I’d love to hear your thoughts!